Why IFV with PGD?

Why IFV with PGD?

To learn more about my story, click HERE

After 4 losses due to a rare and fatal genetic condition, we decided to start looking into IVF with PGD.

In January, we went for the PGD consult since it had been 11 months of trying with no success in getting pregnant. My previous losses had happened faster, after trying for 1 month, 6 months, and 7 months). So we were starting to look at our other options. Plus, we knew another natural pregnancy had no guarantee of a healthy baby and that the baby would have a 25% chance of being affected with the gene we carry.  After our consult with the clinic, we were starting to come around to the idea of going ahead with it. 

You see, our main struggle was that I have no trouble getting pregnant (for the most part) or carrying a baby. Our issues lie in genetics and the fatal gene mutation that we both carry. I will explain more about this in another post. On our own, we should have a 75% chance of having a healthy baby and a 25% chance of having a baby that is affected with SRPS. Unfortunately for us, those odds have not been in our favour. We had decided to try one more month before pursuing IVF, and that is when I became pregnant with our daughter, Bria. After 3 months, we found out she was also affected with SRPS and that she had a 0% chance of surviving, like her brothers. 
I delivered Bria on May 17th, 2016. My recovery after losing Bria was extremely difficult physically (and like always, mentally and emotionally). I ended up getting Placenta Increta, which is extremely dangerous and often ends up in an emergency Hysterectomy. I will share more about this part of my story in another post. Our plan was to pursue IVF with PGD once we got the go ahead that my body had healed enough. We just can’t keep facing terminations and losses from this horrible gene that has taken our 4 babies from us. 
IVF with PGD will allow us to genetically test the embryos to find out which ones have 2 copies of the gene mutation and are affected, and which ones are healthy. This will help to ensure that if it results in pregnancy, the baby will not be affected with Short Rib Polydactyly syndrome. Of course, there is never a 100% guarantee. But the odds are better than trying on our own, and we are just not prepared to give up on starting our family. 
Oven the next few months, I will be sharing our journey through IVF and PGD both here on my blog, and also on my You Tube Channel. So please Subscribe to me there as well! You can also Subscribe to my blog at the bottom of the page! Thanks so much for your support and following our journey to having a healthy baby. xoxo

Get your FREE copy of my 21 Day Fix Recipe Book!

and delicious recipes and health and fitness tips right to your inbox.

No spam – just awesome emails and tips from eleVATe yourself!

Stephanie Vatamaniuck

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *