Servings – 6
- 1 extra large zucchini or 4 medium
- 1-2 lbs of ground turkey
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 can of low sodium tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Spices: Basil, oregano, sea salt, pepper to taste
- 6 large mushrooms
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1/2 container of ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of low-fat mozzarella cheese
Directions for Zucchini Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a deep 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander.
- To prepare the meat sauce, cook and stir ground turkey in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add in green pepper, garlic and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. In a separate pan cook down the mushrooms and spinach.
- Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce and zucchini slices. Spread the remaining mozza cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 large pieces.
Container equivalents (not official – just how I would count it!)